WHAT WE DO
Launched in 2015, with an initial focus on designing and building a cruising catamaran with latest in foil and wing racing technology, Fast Forward Composites has grown into a full service boutique composite shop, capable of taking your project from concept to reality. We are skilled at supporting custom projects across the marine, aerospace and automotive industries. Our promise is to efficiently deliver high quality composite products, on time and on budget.
Collaborating with your design team is essential to the success of your project. Maintaining flexibility and reacting quickly to developments within your design cycle are important components of this partnership. We rely heavily on our capability to model, loft and machine components from your master 3D model or one that we create for you. Our capabilities include:
- 3D modeling – creating tool surfaces, templates, and assembly jigs from the master 3D model.
- 3 Axis/ 5 Axis CNC Machine Capability
- Ply lofting
- Automated ply cutting
- Drafting and laminate checklists
- Managing material testing and certificates of compliance
- Weight control and documentation
- Third-party non-destructive testing (NDT)
We follow a highly-focused meticulous process:
- Design: Layups are computer-designed for maximum tensile, compressive and torsional loads
- Tooling: Depending on application, we use aluminum, composites, ceramic, MDF or infused monolithic carbon
- Layup: Most FFC laminates are made with pre-preg materials. These materials are CNC cut for precision, laid up in the molds, then vacuum-debulked for wrinkle-free layup, regardless of high ply counts
Curing: FFC’s custom modular ovens and autoclaves automatically control and monitor temperature and pressure.
- Assembly: Once cured, parts are trimmed and assembled to computer generated design geometries
Facility and technology
FFC’s newly renovated 30,000 square foot production facility is located in the heart of “Boat Builders’ Row” in Bristol, Rhode Island. Our manufacturing space is clean and flexible with the critical infrastructure to support the composite manufacturing process:
- Modular Composite Curing Oven - 75’L x 30’W (expandable to 90’)
- Small Parts Composite Curing Oven - 32’L x 15’W
- Large Autoclave - 150’L, 6’ Diameter
- Small Autoclave - 60’L, 3’ Diameter
- Ares CMS 5-axis - 189" X-axis, 102" Y-axis, 47" Z-axis
- Multi Cam 5000 3-axis Router - bed dimensions: 9m L x 2.4m W x Z=0.4mm
- Composite Tube Spinner – capable of laminating mandrels up to 40’
- Machine Shop
- Large Panel Carbon Laminating Tables - 2 tables 30’L x 10” W
- Catalytic thermo forming heater for shaping large panels of foam core
We stand by our process and our products, and recognize our customers are depending on us to deliver high quality products. We will provide additional support if engineering improvements are needed or if upgrades are required.
All projects are completed in-house at our facility in Bristol, Rhode Island.